Why choose this subject?
The course has been designed to help students understand the value and significance of world events in the past. In the process they will gain a deeper understanding of social, cultural, religious and ethnic diversity.
How will this subject be delivered?
• Breadth Study: 1C The Tudors: England, 1485–1603.
• Depth Study: 2J America: A Nation Divided, c1845–1877.
• Historical Enquiry: The Civil Rights Movement in the USA 1883-1983.
• Breadth Study: Consolidation of the Tudor Dynasty: England, 1485–1547.
• Depth Study: The Origins of the American Civil War, c1845-1861.
• Summer Term: The Civil Rights Movement in the USA 1883-1983.
Year 13 (A Level)
• Breadth Study: England, turmoil and triumph, 1547–1603.
• Depth Study: Civil War and Reconstruction, 1861–1877.
• Write up of historical enquiry.
How is it assessed?
• Breadth Study: 40%. Assessed: 2 hours 30 minutes written examination.
• Depth Study: 40%. Assessed: 2 hours 30 minutes written examination.
• Historical Investigation: 20% Assessed: 3,500-4,000 word essay written in own time.
Subject specific entry requirements
This course requires good historical enquiry and English skills. We require students to have achieved at least a grade 6 at GCSE in History and English.
Students who study History find employers respect and desire the skills they acquire. Popular career routes include education such as research or teaching, politics, law, business, social care, the arts and museum curatorship.
Additional costs relating to this course
Students may need to purchase their own textbooks.